Friday, May 16, 2014

science experiment

Science experiment:       


Question: What will happen to the sound if I change the shape of a piece of paper? (e.g. from a flat shape to a funnel shape)


Links to research about Sound:
#


Hypothesis: (What do you think will happen?) e.g. I think that…. You will hear a deep kind of echo!


Materials needed: Paper, tape and cotton ball/tissues


Experiment (procedure):


e.g. Step 1 - First hold a flat piece of paper against your ear. Block your other ear with your hand. Get your partner to speak to you. What is the sound like? Can you hear clearly?


Step 2 - Next, roll the piece of paper into a funnel shape. Put the funnel against your ear. Face the funnel towards your partner and listen to them speak. What does it sound like? Can you hear clearly?


Step 3 -  After that, put a tissue/cotton ball at the end of the cone. And put the funnel against your ear. Tell your friend to speak and try figure out what it sounds like.


Step 4 -  Try facing the other way and tell your friend to speak again. Block one side of your ear. Can you hear her/his voice clearly?


Step 5 -  When you are done with that face it directly away from them? will you notice anything strange?


Data (What happened?)



Shape/object/materials
Results:
1
flat piece of paper
The sound was really clear, but it had made no difference
2
funnel facing to the front
I can really pick up sound from the persons voice
3
funnel facing to the side
i can only pick up noises from others except the v
4
cotton ball blocking funnel
I can really hear her more clearly
5
rolled up piece of paper (facing to the front)
I can pick up her sound a little bit
6
rolled up piece of paper (facing to the side)
no difference


Observations:


I rolled up the piece of paper and taped it together . I asked my partner ‘Iron’ to speak directly into the funnel. I could only pick up her voice very clearly. I then faced to the right, I then could only pick up voices of the class but not Iron.


Experiment 2: I got a tissue and placed it at the end of the cone . I told her to speak, but I could still hear her voice. Her voice had more power than the tissue that was placed inside the funnel.

Conclusion:


During all the hassle, doing the experiment I found my hypothesis . . . a bit wrong. I expected a ‘deep’ echo sound. In reality, I could just pick my partners voice clearly and properly. No pitch change!

No comments:

Post a Comment